According to the Houston Fire Department, a fire broke out in an apartment building on 2001 Bering Drive near Westheimer due to the accumulation of lint in the dryer, which is more common than you might think.
According to HFD, when firefighters arrived at the apartment building, they found a unit emitting heavy smoke.
A neighbor is already in the process of rescuing two dogs. Firefighters can provide oxygen and first aid to the dogs.
According to HFD, the renter was not at home when the fire broke out.
“I was watching TV at home and found that there was smoke in my apartment. I thought it was abnormal, so I started investigating it myself. My detector went off, so I knew something was wrong,” said neighbor Kevin Daniel. “So I walked around here and found what I saw. I called 911.”
“An important factor in this area is maintenance. The dryer vents on it are stuffed with lint. And the back of the dryer is also stuffed with lint, which means there is no heat and the lint does not pass,” HFD District Chief Richard Cole said. “There is no ventilation in that part of the dryer, so this will be a contributing factor to the fire tonight.”
Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.
According to FEMA:
- 2,900 household clothes dryer fires are reported every year
- These fires cause about 5 deaths and 100 injuries every year
- Fires cause an average of 35 million U.S. dollars in property damage each year
FEMA recommends checking the ventilation system behind the dryer to make sure it is not crushed or blocked, which can easily lead to fires.
Follow Brhe Berry on Facebook, Twitter And Instagram.
Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. all rights reserved.