The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement that the hypothetical missile was launched at around 6:40 a.m. local time on Tuesday, adding that the South Korean military is “maintaining a state of readiness” in response to possible “additional launches.” “.
The statement said that South Korean intelligence agencies and the United States are analyzing the situation.
The U.S. Indo-Pacific Command in Hawaii said it is negotiating with allies and partners on a hypothetical North Korean test.
The US military stated: “Although we assess that this incident will not pose a direct threat to US personnel or territory or our allies, the missile launch highlights the destabilizing impact of (North Korea’s) illegal weapons program.”
According to international law, Pyongyang is prohibited from testing ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons. Previous tests of this kind have been internationally condemned and sanctioned by the UN Security Council.
Before North Korea’s representative Kim Song delivered a speech at the United Nations General Assembly in New York, news of the presumption test came on Tuesday, where he lamented the differences between North Korea and South Korea and criticized the United States’ presence in the region.
“South Korea-North Korea relations have never escaped the shadow of American interference and obstruction,” he said, citing Washington’s close relationship with Seoul.
If confirmed, the missile test will be North Korea’s third this month.
North Korea’s top official, Kim Yo-jung, the sister of leader Kim Jong-un, said last week that North Korea hopes to restore relations between the DPRK and South Korea and raised the possibility of reinstalling the joint liaison office that North Korea destroyed in June last year.
The Ministry of Unification of South Korea welcomed Kim Jong Un’s information on the possibility of holding a “constructive” discussion, calling it “meaningful”. The Blue House of the Presidential Palace did not make an official response.
‘Powerful offensive means’
In his speech, Ambassador Kim accused the United States of conducting military exercises in the region “against” his country, saying that Pyongyang would be “ready to respond” to Washington’s friendly proposals.
At the same time, he said, “As the world knows, as the United States is concerned, powerful offensive methods are certainly included in our war deterrence.”
The United States has repeatedly condemned North Korea for launching missiles. On September 15, State Department spokesperson Ned Price called for a diplomatic approach to this issue.
“We call on North Korea to have a meaningful and substantive dialogue with us,” he said, using the acronym for the official name of North Korea, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
“We have always been very clear about what we want to see happen. We are committed to the principle that dialogue will enable us to pursue our ultimate goal, which is simply the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula,” Price said.
“We are not hostile to North Korea. We are very aware of this. What we seek to do is to reduce threats to the United States and our allies in the region, including South Korea (Republic of Korea or South Korea) and Japan. Diplomacy to do this.”
“We are very clear in public, and we are also very clear in our message to North Korea. We are ready to have a dialogue. If they might have any reaction, I will introduce Pyongyang to you, but as far as we are concerned, we are ready to participate. This kind of dialogue,” he said.
CNN’s Jennifer Hansler, Oren Lieberman, Brad Lendon, and Caitlin Hu contributed to this report.